Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Roast Pig Cake - Big Success!

Every spring our school's parents club hosts a luncheon for the facilities crew. It's a BBQ theme, and I offered to make a cake. I had plenty of ideas, but none of them seemed right, until I thought of this idea. Granted, it is not an original, as I found out upon a web search, but I was grateful as there were so many examples from which to pull. I had no idea if this would work or not, I mean, how do you do the pig's feet?

Here's the pig before the details were added
First, I made two (or maybe three) 9x12 strawberry cakes (had to be pink on the inside, of course!), and froze them. I stacked  them, then carved the pig shape. I saved some leftover bits for the legs and snout, then used fondant for the feet, ears, tail, and lettuce (I made the ears several days ahead of time, then laid the pieces in a bowl so they could dry in the rounded shape). The apple is from marzipan.

I used one sheet of fondant to cover the pig, then molded it to fit. It came out better than I ever expected. It was so fun. And a big hit at the luncheon!

No comments:

Post a Comment