Thursday, February 23, 2012

My first two fondant cakes

 This is a flashback post. I thought it might be appropriate to highlight where I started with fondant.

I remember seeing this incredible cake my sister-in-law, Jenn, made for my brother's graduation I think - it was one of those multi-layer cakes where the layers are askew. A few years later, we were talking about fondant and I was saying it was too hard to do. Jenn gave me the recipe for marshmallow fondant, so I thought I would try.

Once I figured it out, it really wasn't hard at all. The first cake I did is shown here on the left - your standard Barbie cake. It was great for me because all I really did was cover the dress part with fondant. You can't see it, but I covered up my flaws with those icing details. And, of course, you can see my awesome buttercream work on the cupcakes - ha!

My second cake was a bit more ambitious as I had to carve the cake into a shape. In this case, "King Boo" from Mario Kart. Obviously this was for my son. This was my first attempt at covering a shaped cake with fondant. What I love about fondant is the face that you can hide so many flaws in the cake by just laying fondant over it. Wonderful! I was pleasantly surprised when the cake turned out great. It wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. I know you are loving my foil-covered cookie sheet that I put it on, but I wasn't thinking presentation at this point. I was more concerned about getting it to look like Boo. I think it turned out pretty great!

This is where I started... we'll see where I go from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment